Empowerment of Youth Women Labor through Non-Formal Learning

This year Cojep is carrying out an erasmus project called “Empowerment of Youth Women Labor through Non-Formal Learning” in partnership and under the direction of the Hak-Is trade union confederation in Turkey.

In Europe, youth unemployment rates are generally much higher, even double or more than double, than unemployment rates for all ages. Eurostats estimates that 17.632 million men and women in the EU-28, of whom 13.916 million were in the euro area (EA-19), were unemployed in February 2018. In February 2018, the youth unemployment rate was 15.9 % in the EU-28 and 17.7 % in the euro area, compared with 17.3 % and 19.4 % respectively in February 2017.

In 2018, the EU employment rate for people aged 20 to 64 was 64.5 % for those born outside the EU, 73.9 % for the native-born population and 76.5 % for those born in another EU Member State.  In 2018, the EU unemployment rate for people aged 20 to 64 was 12.2 % for those born outside the EU, 6.1 % for the native-born population and 6.8 % for those born in another EU Member State.

The current population of Turkey is estimated at 83.43 million. The population is fairly young with almost 27% ranging from 0 to 14 years of age, while 67% are 15 to 64 years old. Only around 6% are above 64 years of age. The median age of the population is at 30.9 years of age, with a total life expectancy of 75 years of age in 2018. Labour Force Participation Rate in Turkey increased to 53.30 percent in June 2019 from 52.90 percent in May of 2019. Labour Force Participation Rate in Turkey averaged 48.32 percent from 2005 until 2019, reaching an all-time high of 53.50 percent in August of 2018. Turkey’s unemployment rate rose to 13.90 percent in June 2019 from 10.2 percent in the same period of the previous year. Youth unemployment rate, measuring job-seekers between 15 and 24 years old, also rose to 24.8 percent from 19.4 percent in the same month a year ago.

Concretely, around 24% of HAK-IS members equalling 700,000 in 20 sectors are women employees and it is estimated that 125,000 are young women workers/union members.

Employment participation rate is around 71,10% % in Turkey at the end of the 2018 year as per the TurkStat’s statistics published in January-2019.  Employment participation rate of women is 33,60% in Turkey at the end of the 2018 year according to the TurkStat’s statistics published in January- 2019.

Female labor force participation rate in Bulgaria; according to the The World Bank, the average value for Bulgaria during period of 44.26 percent in 2000 and 49.53 in 2018.

The average value for France during that period was 49.26 percent with a minumum of 46.33 percent in 1990 and a maximum of 51.08 percent in 2013 and 50.34 percent in 2018.

According to the the World Bank, from 1990 to 2018, the average value for Albania during that period was 49.99 percent with a minumum of 44.65 percent in 2013 and a maximum of 56.69 percent in 1992 and 47.19 percent in 2018.

Target group of the action covers young workers in the age range of 17-30 years. 60% of the target group are women workers and the rest (40%) are men workers. This contingency rate is fixed to maintain the balance between working and social lives. On the gender basis, 90 direct beneficiaries of the totally 150 ones will be female workers (60%).

Target group of the action covers young workers in the age range of 17-30 years. 60% of the target group are women workers and the rest (40%) are men workers. This contingency rate is fixed to maintain the balance between working and social lives.

In other words, the action target group consist of young women and young men employees from Albania, Bulgaria, France and Turkey with an objective in order to build up their individual capacities alongside to raise their awareness about industrial relations, influential communication technics, negotiation skills, active citizenship, environment conscious, organised society and trade unions through various non-formal learning activities.

Issues such as religion, gender, race, political opinion, ethnical origin, etc shall in no way, will be selection criteria for the youth to attend to the Project activities. However, priority will be given to applicants with strong motivation for learning and their willingness to create success stories in a short period of time. Essential reason to select this method is to catch stories of success in a short period of time.

Regarding selection of the participants; the coordinator (HAK-IS) will select from its sectoral affiliates through its Standing Committee of Youth. The Ankara YILDIRIM Beyazit University Rectorship will cooperate its the Social Science Institute and the Political Science Faculty through its Erasmus Coordination Unit to work together. Partners from Albania, Bulgaria and France will select and direct sufficient number of participants to the action by giving priority to applicants with strong motivation for learning and their willingness to be empowered.

The action target group consist of young women and young men employees from Albania, Bulgaria, France and Turkey with an objective in order to build up their individual capacities alongside to raise their awareness about industrial relations, influential communication technics, negotiation skills, active citizenship, environment conscious, organised society and trade unions through various non-formal learning activities.